There was a week were Casey and I were obsessed with making chicken and rice things. Okay maybe it wasn't that many things- this casserole and a chicken and rice soup. But we ate both of those for almost a whole week. If I had to choose, this recipe would win over the soup every time. Although, the soup is a little friendlier to the waistline and very tasty. Anyways, you've gotta make this! It's so easy and D-E-LICIOUS. And the texture is the nicest. And if you think you don't like spinach, I especially need you to try this. Because you WILL like spinach... even if just for this casserole.
Chicken, Spinach and Rice Casserole
1/2 Rotisserie Chicken, Shredded
4 Cups Cooked White Rice
1 Small Onion
1 10 oz. Package Fresh Spinach
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese + 1/4 Cup for topping
1 Cup Milk
2 Tbs. Butter
1 tsp. Thyme, chopped
1 tsp. fresh Parsley, chopped
1 tsp. Basil, chopped
1/4 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
Salt and Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Saute the onions in the butter and red pepper on medium-high heat.
3. Add the spinach and cook for about three minutes.
4. Whisk the milk and eggs together in a bowl.
5. Then add the chicken, cheese, herbs, rice, spinach mixture, salt and pepper. Mix it well.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese.
7. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes then serve!