Recently, Casey and I cut sugar and artificial sweeteners completely our of our diet. There are many reasons why but we won't get into that much right now. Alls I'm saying is... Diet Coke. Haven't had one in 9 days. Crazy! (Casey hasn't had any diet coke in 26 days, she wins...) Anyways, in this time, we have found ourselves needing ketchup occasionally. We don't need it that much but when we do, we want to be able to use it. Everything in the store has sugar and the sugar-free kind is always a little weird (and made with artificial sweeteners). But since we have also had interest in eating mostly foods that are not processed we figured... why not just make our own? We will know exactly what is in it. And everyone will be happy. Yay! So here goes...
Homemade Sugar-free Ketchup
6 oz. can Tomato Paste
2 Tbs. Mustard
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Stevia Packets (we used SweetLeaf)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flake
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add the water, vinegars and stevia.
2. When the stevia has dissolved, add the rest of the dry ingredients.
3. Whisk to get rid of any lumps.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
5. Simmer for about 5 minutes and your ketchup is ready! If the consistency is too thick for your liking, add a little more water to loosen it up.
Makes 16 servings
Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
If you are like us, you immediately tried this. While it was warm. And you wanted to eat it all. It's. That. Good! But it is now in the refrigerator for the next time we make burgers. Which I hope is like, tomorrow.